Live Like you ROAR

This is the image for the news article titled Image

For Immediate Release:


Henderson ISD Invests $3.1 Million in Salaries


At a special called board meeting of the Henderson ISD Board of Trustees on Thursday, August 8, 2019, Dr. Thurston Lamb, HISD Superintendent, presented a proposal for the 2019-2020 Compensation Plan.


Dr. Lamb’s presentation to the board opened with an explanation of the salary requirements for the additional state aid mandated by House Bill 3 (HB3). The district reported a potential increase of $4.6 million in additional state aid. “HB3 requires all districts in the state to allocate 30% of the additional projected revenue to salaries. HB3 also requires that 75% of the 30% requirement be allocated directly for teachers, counselors, librarians, and nurses. The other 25% of the 30% can be used to increase pay for all other employees,” explained Dr. Lamb.


He proceeded to explain that according to the requirements, Henderson ISD is required to allocate a minimum of $1,405,298 on salaries, $1,053,973 must be spent on teacher salaries and the other $351,325 can be spent on other staff.


The board of trustees were then presented with a proposal for the 2019-2020 Teacher Salary Schedule. “The goal for the district is not to front load salaries, as most districts do, but to concentrate more on attracting “seasoned” teachers. We want to focus more attention on teachers with five or more years of experience while also maintaining a competitiveness for teachers entering the education field. We believe this proposal captures both goals” explains Dr. Lamb.


The district’s proposed salary increases were explained as follows:

  • Teachers on Steps 0-4 will receive a minimum of a 3% raise
  • Teachers on Steps 5-25 will receive a minimum of an 8% raise with some as high as 14%
  • Teachers with 26 - 40 years of experience will have an average raise of 3%.
  • Auxiliary Staff (Child Nutrition, Bus Driver’s, Aides, Maintenance, Clerical, etc) will receive a 5% at midpoint raise.
  • Administrative and Professional Support staff will receive a 3% at midpoint raise with some additional salary adjustments where needed.
  • The Employer Contribution to TRS Health Insurance was increased from $225 per month to $325 per month which totals to an additional $1200 per year for each employee enrolling into TRS ActiveCare Health Insurance.
  • A November Incentive of $750 for every full-time employee in the district that meets certain criteria


With the salary raises and additional pay, Henderson ISD has allocated $3,108,826 of the additional state aid to employee salaries.


“Instead of Henderson ISD only allocating the required 30% of the additional revenue to salaries, our proposal reflects an allocation of 66% to salaries. That is more than double the requirement of HB3. Of that, 64% will be allocated to teachers, librarians, counselors, and nurses. The other 36% will be distributed to all other staff.”


After a short discussion regarding the proposal, Board President James Holmes opened the floor to a vote. With an enthusiastic motion and second, all six board members present unanimously voted in favor of the proposal. The vote was then met with an equally enthusiastic applause from teachers and staff in attendance.


The 2019-2020 Teacher Salary Schedule will be posted on the Henderson ISD website at for reference this week.



“The Tradition of Excellence Continues”

 Relationships Ownership Attitude Resilience

Dr. Thurston Lamb Jr. ~ Superintendent

P.O. Box 728 ~ Henderson, TX 75653~ 903-655-5000~ fax 903-657-9271~

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.